Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Beauty is found in giving...

During my quiet time today, I was reminded of God's love for us.  I read the story of a young woman who was preparing to see her son and daughter-in-law a week early for Christmas.  Soon afterwards, she was informed that her daughter-in-laws mother would also be there and she wanted to take a gift.  She looked in her cupboard where she keeps gifts and pulled out a few but none of them were nice enough for a Christmas gift.  It was too late to purchase anything, so she went to her china cabinet.  She had just recently purchased a lovely teacup made in England at an estate sale.  She briefly hesitated, then pulled it out and wrapped it for her daughter-in-laws mother.

When her daughter-in-laws mother opened the gift, she could see the delight on her face.  "How did you know" she asked.  "Did your daughter-in-law tell you? I just made the decision a couple of weeks ago to start a teacup collection; this one is beautiful!"   It was so fun to have made someone so happy.  God knew it was the perfect gift for her.  I was so glad that I had given her the teacup instead of the original "make do" gift. 

A few weeks later I received a call from a dear friend and mentor who had moved away but was coming to visit.  "I have a gift," my friend said, "I want you to have one of my mother's teacups."  The teacup from a dear friend's mother is so much more meaningful and treasured than the cup I had purchased at an estate sale.

Beauty is found in giving...

No comments:

Post a Comment